23 Feb Dan Dan Noodles with Shiitake Mushrooms
Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 10 minutes / Serving: 6
Dan Dan Sauce – Makes 2 cups
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chile oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 small pickled chile with oil, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushroom caps, sliced into 1/4-inch-thin strips Dan dan Sauce (see below)
- 24 ounces fresh ramen noodles (substitute 16 ounces dry noodles of choice)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions (green parts only)
Dan Dan Sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Always stir before using.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine the black vinegar, sesame oil, white pepper, garlic, ginger, five-spice powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Toss the mushrooms in the vinaigrette and place in a single layer on a sheet pan. Roast for 10 minutes or until crispy on the edges.
- Warm the dan dan sauce in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the noodles according to package instructions. When tender, drain them immediately and add to the dan dan sauce, tossing gently to coat evenly.
- Transfer the noodles to serving bowls and top with the shiitake caps and scallions.