23 Feb Garlic and Herb Roasted Turkey
Prep Time: 45 minutes / Cook Time: 3-3/4 hours + standing / Servings: 14 (2 cups gravy)
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh rosemary, tarragon and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each lemon-pepper seasoning, cayenne pepper, chili powder and paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 medium orange, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pat turkey dry. Combine the seasonings and garlic; rub over the outside and inside of turkey. Place lemon and orange wedges in cavity. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Remove turkey to a serving platter; Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Pour pan drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 2 tablespoons. Add enough water to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, combine flour and fat until smooth. Gradually stir in drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey.