23 Feb Lemon Roasted Chicken with Wild Mushrooms
Prep Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Serving: 2
- 2 pints wild mushrooms (I used half black trumpets and half yellowfoot chanterelles)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 large chicken legs
- zest of 1 Meyer lemon
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked Hungarian paprika
- ⅓ cup dry white wine (or chicken stock)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. First, cook your mushrooms. Gently brush off any bits of dirt from your mushrooms (or wipe with a damp cloth, but don’t rinse them under water, as that will take away from their earthy flavor), and cut any large pieces into thick slices; try to leave any bite-sized mushrooms as they are, for a nice variation of textures. Add the mushrooms in batches to a pan over medium heat (batches are key so that the mushrooms cook evenly; you should see the pan through the mushrooms) and cook until browned and their juices have started to release. Take 1 tablespoon of butter and divide it evenly among the batches of mushrooms, and add it right at the end of your cooking time, which should be about 8 minutes per batch, then remove, set aside, and finish your remaining batches.
- Add all of the mushrooms back to the pan, then add in your shallots and cook for another 4-5 minutes or so, until the shallots are translucent, then add in the garlic, thyme, and your remaining tablespoon of butter. Season with a pinch or two of salt and pepper, and remove again onto a plate or bowl to use later.
- Pat the chicken dry, then rub it with the combined lemon zest, thyme leaves, sea salt, black pepper, and paprika. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in your same pan, then add the chicken to it over medium-high heat. Cook for about 6 minutes on each side, until the skin is golden and crisp. Add ⅓ cup of white wine to the pan, scraping up any browned bits. Cover the pan and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven, add in the mushrooms, and stir to warm over medium heat. Taste, adjust seasonings as necessary, and serve alongside some rice or other vegetables.