23 Feb Penne with Three Cheeses and Porcini Mushrooms
Prep Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes / Serving: 8
- 1 package penne rigate or ziti pasta
- 1 c. water
- 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. margarine or butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 c. reduced-fat (2%) milk
- tsp. ground nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 oz. Fontina cheese, cubed
- 1 c. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat large saucepot of water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and cook 2 minutes less than label directs. Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In microwave-safe 4-cup liquid measuring cup or medium bowl, heat water in microwave oven on High 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until boiling. Stir in porcini mushrooms; let stand 15 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove porcini; rinse to remove any grit.
Finely chop and set aside. Strain soaking liquid through sieve lined with paper towel and set aside.
- In 4-quart saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Add onion and cook 8 to 9 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in porcini and thyme.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture in saucepan; cook 1 minute, stirring. Whisk in milk, mushroom liquid, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly, stirring frequently.
- Add porcini sauce to pasta in saucepot. Stir in Fontina, ricotta, and 1/2 cup Parmesan until combined. Spoon pasta into 3-quart ceramic baking dish; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake 30 minutes or until center is hot and top is golden.