23 Feb Thai Basil, Lemongrass & Forbidden Rice Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes / Serving: 6
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lemongrass roots, soft centers minced and harder shells cut in 2 inch sections
- 3 1/2 inch pieces galangal
- 2 kaffir leaves
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 red chiles, chopped (removed seeds to lessen spice)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 cup forbidden rice, cooked (~¾ cup dry)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 carrot, shaved
- Heat oil in large soup pot or dutch oven on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, lemongrass roots and shells, galangal, ginger, and chilies. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until onion starts to soften.
- Add stock, fish sauce, lime juice, kaffir leaves, salt, and chicken breasts.. Bring to boil for a few minutes to release flavors, then reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove galangal and hard lemongrass shells. Remove cooked chicken, allow to cool, then shred with fork and return to soup.
- Add precooked forbidden rice prior to serving. Rice will release color and blacken soup if added before cooking.
- Top with basil leaves and carrots, and enjoy!